Friday, May 8, 2009

how can i stop my dog from trying to attack my kitten? My dog is a three year old labrador.?

My dog is a three year old lab, the kitten is an eight week old tabby. I also have a six year old Bengal cat which can stand up for himself. I would be greatful for some useful advice as my children aswell as myself and partner have grown very attached to the little fella and we really don't want to part company with him.
Answers:
hi becarefull as the dog is so big it will kill the kitten by mistake it happened to me? when ur dog is around the kitten put him on a lead and every time he goes towards the kitten pull his lead and say leave it. its probally stressing the lil fella out seeing this big dog come towards him. keep doin that as he is a Labrador an he will pick it up quickly. keep trying cause i wished i done it sooner good luck
Put a small amount of jeyes fluid on the kitten the smell will put the dog off
get shot of the dog!

they aren't as independant as cats

sorry , im a cat guy
Discipline it. Smack it with your hand or a rolled up newspaper, the sound of the newspaper is the only thing it dislikes, btw. Or use a squirt bottle with water. Lock it up in a room, or yell at it. The dog won't stop loving you, but you need to be forceful with it. Btw, did you know that labrador retrievers are the highest ranked dogs that attack people more than any other breed?
try n get the bengal to train the kitten up 'Rocky' Style
Why did you get a cat if you already had one and a DOG?

You are really mean you know? But some people need drama I guess? Next time though, leave innocent animals out of your need for chaos and trouble!

They don't like one another. it is instinctual and for a very good reason!

and Kristenel, up above me. even better idea. let's beat on the poor thing for doing what comes natural just because she felt like getting an animal a natural enemy as a playmate. Yeah a smack on the nose with a newspaper will really clear things up for the poor dog as far as understanding what is going on.

You people. I don't know man.
let him enjoy
Is the dog literally trying to attack the kitten or just roughly play with it? Either way, get yourself, your partner and the dog to a trainer as this is a behavior that can be modified. In the meantime, keep the animals as separated as possible and never leave them together without supervision. I'm sort of surprised that you'd have this problem with a lab - they're not prone to this sort of thing.
Smack the dog with a rolled up newspaper every time it does it.
How did you introduce them? My strongest suggestion, is to train the dog that the new kitten, is part of his pack. You (and any humans) should be his pack leader. I trained my dog not to attack my rat, so it is do-able.

I would strongly recommend reading information provided by Cesar Millan. He is _excellent_ when it comes to dog behavior. Here's a few websites on him. I know they had 1 episode regarding a dog that didn't get along with the resident cat.though I don't remember all of the details..

http://www9.nationalgeographic.com/chann.
http://www.dogpsychologycenter.com/.

Good luck!
MAYBE HE IS TRYING TO PLAY WITH HER,LABRADORS CAN BE GOOFY AND EXUBERANT.
whack the dog with a rolled up newspaper- I know I stole this from someone else but it worked for me!
put a muzzle on the dog to start with .I think you are not thinking of the cat but yourselves .dont you think its a little cruel to put a kitten under this kind of stress.Also why do you need a kitten you have a dog a cat.If you want another cat get an Ocelot full grown the dog will not bother that.Unless it wants a good hiding.

No comments:

Post a Comment