Friday, May 8, 2009

How can I teach my dog to bark and growl when I order him to?

He really doesn't do it too often, but I know he can.
Answers:
My favorite way to teach a bark is to tie the dog to a post and get them really excited, encouraging them to have fun with you while you are just out of reach of the line. Continuously give a bark command in an excited voice, and eventually you will get a bark. Reward with a treat when you do. My dog was never much of a barker, and this method got him barking on command, and didn't seem to increase his regular barking. Growl on command is possible, but you don't want to initiate aggressive behavior. After the dog is barking well, pick a new command (I use woof) and say it in a playfully growl voice, alternating it with the speak command. This will get the dog making noise, and when he hears you using a playful woof type of growl, he will respond with a playful growl back.
hmm, well, i dont know
Barking you can teach. Just give him a command, like "Speak", and then reward him when he does. He'll catch on sooner or later. Growling is aggressive behavior that precedes an attack, so you don't really want to encourage him doing that. I used to have a huge wolf mix who never growled, except for twice when kids tried to jump me. He was great about reading my body language, and I didn't have to say anything at all. Don't worry, if you're good to your dog- he'll have your back when you need him.
Dont even try

No comments:

Post a Comment