Friday, May 8, 2009

How can I tell if a mixed breed dog will have floppy or standing ears?

I am going to get a a dog from the local animal shelter but do not want one that has ears which stand straight up. Id prefer the dog to have floppy ears. My last dog had floppy ears when i got her at 8 weeks but they eventually stood up. Do not be offended if your dog has standing ears--i just want to make sure my new dog looks different than my last (the greatest dog who ever lived). the problem is the pound doesnt know what type of mix the dogs are. Most of the time they guess as best they can. How can i tell if the ears are likely to stand when i dont know the breeds involved?
Answers:
If it is a pup under 3 months old, the ears will be close to her head, and not stand out from the head at all..If it is over 4 months old, and the ears are still not standing, when the dog plays and moves a lot, then they won't stand later.
You can see these puppies are about 3-4 months old> http://images.google.com/images?sourceid.
and these that won't stand, at about same ages> http://images.google.com/images?svnum=10.
I would say to buy and older puppy. When I got my puppy her ears were floppy and now they stand up.

No comments:

Post a Comment