Friday, May 8, 2009

How can I tell if my pit bull has mastitus and whether or not she is infected(septic)?

My I yr old pit bull just had her first litter on Nov 5, 06. She had eight total, all alive and healthy. Four days later one of the puppies had died, then another one the next day, and one more the same night, and the last one the day after that. She was very upset and kept getting up to look for them. Soon after we noticed that her teats in the back were very swollen, and she wasn't procing milk. So I tried giving her a long very warm (NOT burning hot) bath, then I tried to massage the swollen teats. She didn't really seam all that confortable but she let me do it any way. The milk that came out when I did that, had a very strong odor to it and was kind of thick and oily. We have since been bottle feeding the rest of the puppies and they got chubbier, but now she won't stay by them or try to clean them. What, if anything, can I do for her?
Answers:
You can give her amoxycillin an put a warm compress on her nipples. Mastitis also known as milk fever is not a good thing as you know now for the pups. All the APBT's that I have seen with it,none would lay down on their own accord to let their pups nurse. The milk will have a smell to it,kinda sour is the best way to describe it. I'm not certain but I think you maybe able to use tetracycline also.
Sounds like mastitis but only your vet can confrim that and i would take her there immediatly if that is the case cause it can become very serious if the infection is not gotten under control. I was watching a vet show on tv and they had to cut off the teet of an animal that had a severe case of mastitis in order to drain the infection to save the animals life. Good luck
This is a medical question. Only a vet can diagnose and prescribe a treatment.
Get her spayed and dont put her through this again.
from a life time breeder of apbt WHY would you breed a year old puppy? Would you let me knock up your 13 year old daughter and say its okay

No comments:

Post a Comment