Friday, May 8, 2009

How can I stop my yorkie from peeing in one particular area?

I cannot seem to get to stop peeing in one area. I have steam cleaned the carpet and sprayed it with some spray from the pet store but nothing seems to work. He is well potty trained (well used to be) . He always barked or lick when he needed to go outside. Please help me I cannot take the smell anymore!
Answers:
It is obvious that the urine has penetrated way down into the carpet padding and as long as the smell is there your yorkie will go thereFirst pour straight Vinegar and thoroughly soak the carpet-should not harm the fibers nor disturb the color(s) but to make sure can test a small area on the edge of the carpet-15 minutes should be sufficient to confirm safe or not. Also block that area of the carpet so your yorkie cannot get to it or even close to the urined carpet area. Vinegar destroys bacteria,odors,mold and mildew and is also a antiseptic. I havea used vinegar on cat urine, rabboit urine--and often all I needed. The one time it didn't went to Petsmart but Petco or any other Petfood,Petstore should carry it-) unfortunately can't rmember the name but comes in a tall container-and for carpet is a power Enzyme Cleaner---the Enzyme Agents seek out the odor/bacteria---protein(all urine,feces,blood etc is protein based)and literally eat/destroy the source of the odor and Voila If no bacteria/Protein then no odor----you leave it on the carpet for 24hours-also block the Yorkie,any animal for going .it although is safe non-poisonous, non-.toxic and no harsh detergents and then vacuum it up.Your carpet smells fresh and it is clean. For non-carpeted floor it comes in a liquid. It costs approx $17.00 but well worth it and just a little amount is needed to do the job. It is not the only product available at petstoresNot Walmart or K-Mart or any of the Grocery Stores for do not always work. More than likely he had a accient or do not allow friends to bring their doggies and leave them access to roam the house for even another dog or cats urine will hold the same attraction to urinate there-instinct. Hope I helped-best of luck
I wonder if you put a litterbox there he would go in there? Well at least it might help the smell?

Hope this helps?
use vinager to clean the area with.. Should also stop him from going back and peeing in that area.. A steam cleaner won't take the smell out.. dogs noses are more sensive.. also you could start feeing him in that area.. dogs will not go to the bath room where they eat..
Well have you ever tried vinager. it works i used it with my pup and it stopped peeing in that area.
I had this problem with my hound. God help you, it's awful! The only thing that helped was that I had to first, thoroughly clean the area. Then, block that area off completely from your dog. Close doors or use baby gates. Whatever it takes. Your dog has developed a very bad, habitual habit. Once you are comfortable that your dog does not want to use the area again, you can remove the gates or open the doors. This will take months (3-6 at least). For extra safety, run to Walmart and get a plastic runner to cover the area, just in case he runs straight to it and does it again. Good luck.
Is your yorkie crate trained. If not now is the time. And the suggestion of putting his food there (after cleaning well) is a good one. I have used that on cats before and it is very effective, I don't see why it wouldn't work on dogs too.
Mothballs in the spot.
try "get serious" dog pee solution.it really is the best for this! i buy it at petsmart.

And yorkies are kind of lazy and finicky.i happen to have two.

might have to start letting him out more often and on a schedule.
once it's in the carpet..theres no getting it out. put dog pants on him with a pad in it and they don't like peeing in there pands and it stops them.i have 8 yorkies and i breed them so they try to have a hike fest.but that put a stop to that. good luck
First I would restrict him from that area and see if he finds another place. If not, you will know he is well.
Are you home with him during the day? If so you could make him stay in the same room with you so you can keep an eye on him. You MUST be consistent and when he starts to go to that spot make a sound, clap your hands, use a clicker to distract him and then take him outside right away. Meanwhile have your carpet cleaned by a pet carpet professional, and perhaps you could put his bed, food, or toy box in that spot until this behavior ends. I really hope this helps you %26 pup get along again. I have two Westies and sometimes the simplest distraction is the answer to avoiding potentional problems.
The reason your dog keeps on peeing in the same area is because it smells the urine. Alot of products get rid of the stain, but not the odor. I suggest getting a powerful cleaner. If it is a horrible stain you might have to higher a professional carpet cleaner, It might cost more, but if there is no other way you just might have to do it.

Hope this helps,
KS
Yes, Try this I have recommended it on this site before. No animal likes to eat where they potty. Place his feed %26 water dish on the spot he's peeing and feed him there til u get success. It may be akward but feed him there at least 3 days. after u remove the dish Watch the area gaurd it constantly if he looks like he is looking to pee place the dish back there. But u want to be talking to him if you think he's headed there have his food dish in your hand and use the tone u used when u 1st pottytrained.

2 comments:

  1. At least no one suggested 'rubbing their nose in it," does not work and only freaks the dog out...
    My dog too, a Yorkie/something mix has this one small area in the bedroom where she pisses. The annoying part is that there is a pee pad RIGHT there...its almost always beside the pad..as if she has a twisted sense of humor... What can I do?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh, there's nothing I detest more than the smell of cat wee!

    I used to have such an issue with my cats back in the times of living alone with them. You wouldn't accept the commotion they caused! Truly!

    One of my 2 cats (both neutered guys) had taken to painting the majority of my dividers, furniture, and whatever else he could reach. I was alarmed when I got an UV light. He never did that in the majority of the 9 years I've had him and didn't when I got him a mate (they cherish one another and did so immediately) however when a weird dark cat fired appearing outside both of my cats went crazy and the more seasoned one (9) began his divider painting, just as the window ornaments out in the kitty room. I couldn't stay aware of it.

    My cats are indoor cats so dislike the stray is really going to get in here yet the two of them detest him (and he is weird...my neighbor's cats loathe him as well). I've taken a stab at cleaning with a pet pee compound and afterward spraying some "No More Spraying" however that hasn't worked. He's a tricky little bugger as well; he holds up until he believes I'm not looking and afterward does it. He's discovered that the moment I see him backing his butt looking for trouble he gets shouted at.

    It wasn't until I found "NoMoreCatPee" that I had the option to at long last dispose of this tedious conduct.

    Presently my home doesn't smell like a litter box any longer :)

    Here's a link if you're interested in checking out their site: NoMoreCatPee.com

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete