Sunday, August 2, 2009

How to tell if a dog is pregnant?

My jack russel terrior was in heat about a month ago and there were some dogs hanging around the neighborhood. I tried to keep her on a leash or inside as much as possible. My son took her outside on the leash one day and a poodle was trying to "get" her. How do I know if he did? She got pregnant 1 1/2 years ago and had 4 puppies under my sons bed and we didnt even know she was pregnant. She didnt get a big belly and showed no signs of being pregnant. How do I know if she is? She is an active dog and very clingy to use anyway, but she has been following me everywhere I go, even to the bathroom,LOL. I just want to be prepared this time if she is and if she isnt I want to have her spayed as soon as possible.
Answers:
Make a quick trip to the vet. If she's pregnant, you have several options. You can go ahead with the spaying, and it will terminate the pregnancy. Or, you can hope that she makes through another pregnancy and that you can find GOOD homes for all the puppies.

If she's not pregnant, then make an appointment ASAP to have her spayed. You need to be in charge of her if your son can't handle keeping her away from unfixed dogs. Keep her safe until the surgery date comes.

Good luck to you. : )
take her to the vet.
take her to a vet to check

No comments:

Post a Comment