Sunday, August 2, 2009

Humanistic qualities and quirks?

My little Dachshund lays down and gives a big sigh when she knows she's been told no. When my brother has his bare feet out, she sniffs at them once and jumps back like they're onion scented. Little things she does makes her seem less like a dog and more like part of the family. What quirks does your dog have?
Answers:
My basset hound won't drink dirty water. Sometimes whe I fill his water bowl a few of his hairs float into it if he doesn't drink it for a while. When he is thirsty, he will walk over, look at it to see if he can see anything in it and if it looks dirty to him, he will look at me as if to say "I'm not drinking this!" He will go lay down without drinking any water and as soon as I rinse his bowl and put some fresh water in it he will drink almost the whole bowl. He also will not drink out of his bowl twice. Once he has slobbered into it, he's not touching it again. He's so funny!

Also, sometimes if he's mad at you, he will sit with his back to you and he will refuse to turn and look at you when you call him.

Another thing is that he knows where I keep his ear cleaning solution and cotton balls as well as his nail clippers. If I go into that closet for anything at all, he sits nervously tilting his neck and head to try to see as far as he can around the corner without actually getting too close and he waits to see if he needs to make a run for it.

I used to have a cocker spaniel that always seemed to have terrible gas. Whenever you would smell something and say her name, she would put her head down and walk out of the room like she was ashamed. Funny!
Our mascot, Frodo, a miniature Schnauzer mix, greets all the new dogs that come to our shelter. He walks around the shelter with them, showing them around, and often grooms the puppies and smaller dogs. When he gets scolded for anythig, he sits down, looks straight at you, and barks "rah-roo!" (as though he doesn't like the scolding). At night time, he runs into the bed room, jumps on the bed, and rolls onto his back on the best pillow he can find. and snores.
Bud, my Sheltie, does that big sigh thing when he gets into trouble, too. He rolls his eyes when my husband says it is not time for popcorn yet. When I tell him I have to get the goop out of his eyes he comes to me and holds still. He avoids the dog who visits next door because he doesn't like her rather than have to go play with her. He knows that he has to watch the granddaughters and that he has to be gentle with them. He gives big body rattling sneezes when our son visits and lights up a cigarette.
My old dog used to play hide and seek with me, and tag. He actually looked like he was laughing! We used to have so much fun. I miss him.
My Aunt and Uncle have a black Labrador that has horrible skin problems. The dog's name is Shadow and she is really sweet.
In an effort to treat the skin problems, they shave her fur off in the summer when the problem gets worse. One time the groomers botched the job and she looked really stupid. We all (my auntie, cousins, and the neighbor kids) laughed at her. She, being a dog, didn't seem affected by our not so kind words, until my uncle came home. My uncle is her absolute favorite person in all the world and usually when he comes home she is overjoyed, meets him at the door hopping around and generally letting him know she missed him.
After the disastrous hair cut, she didn't go to the door when he got home. She hid her face in the couch cushions and wouldn't look at him! He called her over, and she went to hide under the bed! She actually seemed embarrassed and ashamed of how she looked!
You think of dogs and their ability to love us and be happy, mad, sad and upset, but vanity, shame, and embarrassment is not something you usually think a dog can feel.
So, yeah, dogs are definitely part of the family, and we don't make fun of them anymore.
I'm owned by a rather neurotic border collie that doesn't know she's a dog. She gives hugs like a human, sighs like a human and even gives the worse guilt trips.

When I have to go out of town on business trips, Cali stays with my parents. My mom collects teddy bears and when she comes home from work, she'll find Cali on the stair landing with several of the bears gathered around her. She doesn't chew on them and she's extremely gentle with them. The other thing she does is get into my dad's dirty clothes hamper and leaves a trail of clothes from the door of their room, down the stairs and to her "hiding spot" under the stairs.

She has a lot of other quirky behaviors and the older she gets the weirder they get but those are the ones that really crack me up.
My Chihuahua, Guido loves to play chase in the house. I say, "I'm going to get you" and he knows its time to run as fast as he can. He loves this game. He also knows the name of the dog next door, the minute he hears this name he goes nuts, he hates him. If we talk about the dog next door we have to spell his name in order to keep Guido from going crazy.
My dog likes cold water. So we put a cube of ice in her water, and she'll happily drink it.
Out collie, Sally is nicknamed sergeant Sally because if any of our cats (we've got 6), get out of line she is onto them straight away!

One of our cats is a scaredy cat and the others know it but Sally won't let any of them touch her.

She patrols the house and if one of them tries to scratch the furniture she's there so fast to stop them.

She's never nasty with them she just lets them know she's in charge.

After every situation she has 'sorted out' she looks at us for praise and admiration!

No comments:

Post a Comment