Sunday, August 2, 2009

Humping dogs?

I have 2 male dogs. The older one constantly humps the younger and bigger dog. It is annoying and embarassing in front of friends. What can I do to stop him/them? Both of them are nuetered.
Answers:
I know we see dogs hump and immediately we are embarrassed and ashamed. Especially if it is two males.

Relax, this is not a sexual act. The older one is trying to dominate the younger one. When you have new people come in the house, the older one is probably saying to the younger, I am dominate and I get to be with the new people first.

Just tell your dog "no" when he starts humping or use the "off" command. Eventually he will learn that humping all together does not impress you. You have to be consistent and tell him no or off every time he does, whether there are other people around or not. (but I will have to say that it is better then fighting for dominance)

Good Luck and Take Care
This is a territory issue, even when they do that to humans, He is showing that he is the MAN. Scold him
oh boy yes my dogs used to embarrass the heck out of me..i used to spray water on them..or keep them apart
You have it a little better than I do. My girl dog humps my boy dog. She also lifts her leg when she pees and marks her territory. It's terribly embarrassing. When she starts humping my other dog, I yell at her.
to stop them you should take your do to a vet and see if thay can give you do a thing to stop if from humping anothe dog
This is what dogs do. Frankly, I would tell your friends to get over it. But, if you really want to stop it, tell the dog to knock it off. Get them each involved in a chew toy or something else to distract them.

No comments:

Post a Comment