Sunday, August 2, 2009

How true is it that solid white pit bulls are blind and or hearing impared?

I have a 4 month solid white (or albino) pit bull and i read a few websites that were about dogs in general and said that most "white dogs" have hearing problems or are blind it that true?
Answers:
Albino means no pigment at all., Mostly pink where she would normally have black.
alot of pure white or albino animals are deaf. I have never heard of the blind thing. Most but not all. if she can hear you she obviously is not deaf and if she See's you then she is not blind. I would worry more about cancer. White dogs cannot be in the sun alot because they are just like us, they burn and can develop cancer. So just be a good owner and make sure you socialize her alot. it is enough that she is a Pitbull so do not encourage aggression or want her to be that way. I own a Pitbull so believe me when I say that socialization is important and obedience. People will judge her because she is a Pitbull so you have to be a good example for them all.
Good Luck
It's true, eye and hearing problems are linked to the white gene. Doesn't mean your dog is definitely blind or deaf, just that it had a strong chance of it. Same with ferrets with a blaze on their forehead (most likely deaf).


No, I wouldn't call her albino. If she was albino then her skin would be very sensitive to light and you would know it.
I've never heard of that, and I have a pit and before I got her, I did a lot of research on them, and I never saw anything like that on any website that I checked out.
it is true.i have a friend that owns 2 albino dogs.one of them is a great dane and the other is a boxer.not do they only have blindness or deafness.but they also have some health problems.not that i am saying that your dog will have some health problems but what pet doesnt..but most albino dogs indeed are deaf and or blind.hope i helped you.good luck.
The gene for white or blue eyed dogs and cats are linked,to deaf ness, several breeds. not just pits.(It is a heredity defect) Also some colored dogs can be born deaf as well.--Dosen't mean your dog is deaf or blind--You should be able to tell by her actions weather she can hear and see.
There's a difference between having a white dog and having an albino dog. Albino dogs lack pigment which means that their noses are pink, paw pads are pink, etc. Their eyes are usually a pale blue. These dogs do have definite problems with blindness and/or deafness.

But what it sounds like to me is that you have a white dog, not an albino one so I seriously doubt that your dog will have these problems (unless it does indeed lack the pigments),
My pit bull, "Mystic" her father was true albino and he ALWAYS sunburned and he did have trouble seeing on bright clear days. The vet told us that the red eyes had the pigment deficency and if he was out in the bright sun that yes, he would go blind
This is true with dogs and cats. But not all are.

No comments:

Post a Comment