Thursday, July 30, 2009

how to be perfect?

i have noticed that some people (not metioning names) seem to spend alot of time accusing people of being irresponsible, sure some are, but from what i have read most people are genuinly after advice on how to care/cope with their dogs/puppies. obviously some people have more experience than others, but why can't they just give positive advice without putting people down. has anyone else noticed this. maybe they could advise us on HOW TO BE AS PERFECT AS THEM.
Answers:
Perfect is a myth.
There is no one perfect in this world.though some people try to act like show off's and say there perfect.If u do nice things or do what ur sposed to do your probaly a good person not perfect.god made us how we were sposed to be.
wrong section to be asking this question man! get it right!
Perfect in every possible way.. work=yes, polite=yes, friendly=yes, helpful=yes, sexy= god yes, happy=yes, conscientious=yes, responsible=yes, vain=no.. religious ..NO.. open-minded=yes. Well theres a few.
cie cie's right.you are in the wrong section..
anyways, nobody's perfect in this world. period
While no one is perfect, some of the questions asked here involve such basic care of dogs that it makes true dog lovers shudder at the thought that there is a dog somewhere in the world with THIS person as the caregiver.

Sometimes the irritation felt by the readers of such questions comes out in the answers.

Then there are all the idiotic ones regarding breeding, the ones that personally make me recoil in horror. I know I have been less than polite in response to some of the people asking questions that should be totally basic knowledge before anyone considers breeding their dog. Because the mere fact that the person has to ask such a question indicates they know nothing, yet they indicate are in the process of actively breeding!

I find it very hard to be polite to such irresponsible people. Not that the person is necessarily a bad one, but what they are doing is detrimental to their dog.
No-one is perfect. If everyone was perfect there would be no room for improvement, and there is always room for improvement.
I never claim to be perfect.

A little insight on me: I LOVE ALL animals. I do what I can to help animals. I volunteer 3 days a week at an animal shelter (on top of my full time job!), I also volunteer for an animal rescue. I transport dogs that we have rescued from shelters, I foster dogs that would have been euthanized if we didn't rescue them, I do home visits for prospective adopters, I volunteer for booths at fairs and shows to raise money for said rescue.

I ALSO SEE DOG AFTER DOG AFTER DOG AND CAT AFTER CAT AFTER CAT EUTHANIZED BECAUSE OF IRRESPONSIBLE BREEDING.

SO PLEASE EXCUSE ME IF I GET A LITTLE AGGRAVATED WHEN I SEE THESE PEOPLE THAT POST QUESTIONS LIKE, "I think my dog is pregnant, what do I do?" OR "My dog is sweet, I'd like to breed her?" OR How do I make my dog meaner", etc.

You get the point. I apologize but sometimes I just cannot control myself..kind of like now!
I too have that same impression. There is alot of good advice on this site. The web sites that are offered are excellent. However, sometimes when a questioner is so blatently ignorant of their situation one has to step back , not answer. or just give him whatfor. I often wonder how these animals fare once the situation is resolved. Anyway, I wonder how , without a vets input some of these situations are corrected.
yo u isz right cusz i wanted some advice on somethin nd nex thing u kno isz dat sum pplsz rote dat OO i shud b more reponsible wid dem nd dat wat i did isz rong nd ta do dis more nd ta do dat more, yooo WTF i wasznt askin wat i did rong, i want advice, u kno Peoplsz, askin for advice nd tellin me wat i did rong isz 2 big asz completely quesztions iight. we kno we kinda made a mistake nd i undastand dat but y yall gotsz ta b rubbin it in our face, HELLLLOOO sum peoplesz r new act trying to take care ov der dogsz nd r askin for help to make decisions nd caringsz betta. WE R NOT ASZ EXPERIENCED AS YALL PEOPLES DAT CALL PEOPLE IRRESPONSIBLE i kno i dint do nuttin rong nd asz a matter of fact i did da right thing fo advice iight so yall jusz waisted ur tyme trying ta make me feel bad on what i did rong
I'm not sure that it's people thinking that they're perfect. I'm not the nicest in the book, I know that. Personally, I get aggravated by the idiotic questions. I get aggravated when people spend time and money searching for the "perfect" breed when there're so many out there that are desperate for a home. I appreciate that people want to take in animals, ESPECIALLY shelters and rescue, but for god's sake learn something about taking care of them first!

I'll bet that most people spend more time researching what type of car they're going to buy next then how to take care of the living, breathing creature that they've already brought home.
People just do that when they are insucur about themselve.. just do what i do and ignore htem.. they need to get a life. Just thank god that your not like them.
Oh sweetie. This is a problem as old as time. Us old folk had people 'advising' us way back before you were even a twinkle in your daddy's eye! The difference is that back then, we just listened, nodded and smiled (probably where the phrase 'nod and smile, nod and smile' comes from). The 'advisor' would think they had been extremely helpful and we would think 'silly old bat'. We'd either totally ignore the advice, or (you never knew) tried it out. Some things worked, but more weren't even tried!
Think of a world where no-one offers help to anyone.
Sure could..IF people would actually LISTEN(er-READ-LOL!) *%26* LEARN instead of just wanting their pre-concieved ignorance REINFORCED!

"I've already made up my mind;don't confuse me w/the FACTS!"
LMAO
You make a fair point, and I'd agree that some people are given far harsher treatment on here than they deserve, but as some other people who have posted above have said, there are some who more than deserve to be put down.

People breeding their dogs when they haven't got the faintest clue what they're doing make me the most angry, along with those who consider dogs a possession that they can dispose of on a whim. So yes - I've been rude to a few and I'm not sorry.

It is a bit annoying though when some answer rudely without appearing to have thought first, just wanted to be on their high horse, not giving benefit of the doubt etc.

Best advice I can give anyone posting a question is to be aware that you're going to get all sorts of responses, pick out the most useful and don't let the others get to you.

Also, try to be as clear as possible. Think how your question could be misinterpreted and try to clear up as many of those misunderstandings in "additional details" as far as you can. That way, you're more likely to get useful answers.
How can anyone accuse you of been irresponsible for asking for advice about their pets, all of us who have dogs, cats and other pets make mistakes because were not perfect and don't always know the answers, I really wish this site had been up and running when we got our dog as we could have done with a bit of help and advice ourselves at times, like you we are not irresponsible dog owners, just loving caring ones who don't always know the right thing to do for our dog, ignore them you will always get the know it all offering you nasty advice, none of us are perfect, least of all them, don't let them put you off YA will you, good luck.
I must admit I get irritated by some of the questions.

There are two categories that annoy me.

Firstly, I get really fed up with people who obviously don't know anything about breeding asking basic questions. This annoys me because I am genuinely concerned about the individual b**ches that are being bred from and could have problems either with the pregnancy or the whelping and their owners wouldn't recognise that there was problem and wouldn't know how to deal with it.

How can anyone who is thinking of breeding their b**ch not know what day she is likely to be fertile and accept the male (recent question); how long does the pregnancy last (recent question - b**ch already pregnant) how can you tell when she is going into labour (recent question - b**ch already pregnant ) when do I start weaning the pups( recent question - pups already born) etc. etc..

I am also very concerned about the thousands of unwanted dogs that already exist and are euthanized every day because homes cannot be found for them. Back street breeders just add to the problem.

Secondly, people ask a lot of very basic questions about their dog's behaviour which often shows that although they own a dog they are totally clueless about a dogs normal instincts. Dogs are frequently referred to as 'bad' or 'violent' when all they are doing is acting in a normal canine way that does not suit us.

Statistics show that almost 50% of dogs are put down before they reach their first birthday usually because of 'behaviour' problems. Many of these behaviour problems are caused by the way they have been treated - either because of cruelty or ignorance.

Cruelty is despicable but ignorance is also inexcusable because people should prepare themselves before they acquire a dog and before they breed..

If someone decides that they want a dog I think that they should do some proper research and find out about the different breeds and be aware that there is a lot of work involved in training and caring for a dog - there are no quick fixes.

Similarly if someone wants to breed a litter of pups they should do masses of research into breeding and care of the dam and pups and before all that they should learn how to study and interpret pedigrees. They should also ask themselves - why?

The answer should be that they want to improve the breed not that they just fancy having a litter from their b**ch or dog because it would be nice.

I have trained dogs for many years and I have also taught at dog classes, I have trained people who wanted to be dog handlers and worked with people on a one to one basis. There is so much information available now that no-one should be unaware of the responsibility involved in owning and breeding dogs.
I have noticed the same thing.
I have noticed that when people say they don't have money for a vet they get bashed for having a pet without the funds to take care of them.
Often times,as with even humans we don't have the spare money to be paying to Dr's when there are some home remedies that are just as effective therefore I don't mind giving up my experience/knowledge.
Course if there is something I can't take care of with home remedies I always find the money to take my child or my animal to the vet.
Yes,there are some real idiots that start out as irresponsible pet owners and these are the people who even if they had millions just will not spend it on their animals as they don't see animals as having any worth. . . these are the people who abuse and mistreat animals.
Some of the questions asked are from people who have just started their lives as single adults whom may have never had pets before and I would rather answer their questions than to let their pet suffer due to inexperience.
But too there are just some plain STUPID questions but this is not limited to just questions to pets as there are just some plain STUPID people out there in this world who are so self asborbed that they are limited in experience and knowledge.
There is no such thing as perfect. thank goodness. I've had my dog since she was 6 weeks old. I was afraid to have her because I was afraid of dogs. But I persevered never having had a puppy before. It was scary and I learnt along the way.

The best requisite is to love them and spend a lot of time with them.

When people commented how obedient she was (I had never been to a training school) all I could say was that I loved her and spent a lot of time with me.

I'm a bit too soft with her really. But she is such a joy I wouldn't be without her.

Ignore people's patronising comments. I agree if they can't say anything without having this attitude then they shouldn't say anything at all.

If you are going to have a dog or puppy or know anyone who is then the best people to ask are those you meet on the dog walks. I've never met such a bunch of lovely people. they even notices when I wasn't there (I did my back in).

Good Luck hope this encourages you.
Don't try and compete. As my gran once said, "we are all different and we ALL have our own gifts." The problem is discovering what they are and not allowing others to bring you down. As others have said. Nobody is perfect. That's why we are all here. All we can do is to strive for the best but not at the expense of others - or ourselves
i know i asked for advice yesterday bout my dogs barking and someone told me not to get a dog i cant control.i thought this site was for asking questions and recieving advice.some people, eh?
I get aggravated with people who get aggravated and post nasty remarks. Some are indeed perfect, perfect PRATS!
Some are just plain nasty, like someone did an insulting thing to their breakfast flakes or something.
I can genuinely say that I think, from the educator's perspective, that no question merits ridicule. I have on occasion jumped into respond to some bully that has insulted a questioner!
Come on, we are all human, we are all learning, and sometimes we need to learn how to ask a question. It is difficult to ask about something if we have little idea of what the answer may be. Live and let learn is the purpose of PetQnA.com in the first place.
If people want to be nasty, why can't they go to some chat room to show their more important (at least to them) and strongest traits?
Rant over,
Dr. Charles R. James
P.S. Keep asking questions and don't let the blighters get you down. They are the Prats, not you!
if you are not prepared to take a knock then don't ask question you are talking to many different folk who have the rite to say what they think so if you are not going to take what is thrown at you then don't ask advice from others it is a free country and you ask a question so take what you get not every one will agree with you so you have to prepared to take the ruff with the smooth and not to take it personally just ignore what you don't like its better that way and i dont mean this in a nasty way but you will get it so its up to you at the end of the day not to take any notice if you dont like what they say and just take the good advice of those that helps you out dont let them get to you

No comments:

Post a Comment