Friday, July 31, 2009

How to make dog smell good / have better breath?

I have an 8 wk old pug puppy, I've only had him for one week, and have given him one bath since then, I don't want to over bathe him, because that can make them stink even worse I heard, because it messes w/their sweat glands. He doesn't really stink, but he doesn't smell that great either. What products, other than shampoo, could I use to make him smell better? Also, what can I do about that breath!?
Answers:
With out puppy we use : Premium tearless puppy shampoo (gentle %26 mild) with a hint of baby powder smell and that's worked great for us. We bathe her once a month.

Here's a link for the product:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.d.
(you can also get it at Target)

Breath - you can brush your dogs teeth or get dog mints at petsmart. An employee should be able to give the best suggestions. We just bought some puppy breath strips at Petsmart and though they don't smell good it does help with their breath.

Good luck!
great question i have a 13 year old dog
mouth smells like a dead mouse
for the breath.

use breath mints
It's a dog, not a person. It's not suppose to smell good.

Why are you so concerned about the breath? Are you making out with the dog?

You are insane.
Its a dental problem. Little dogs have little dog problems and that is one of them.They have little teeth and loose them early. Ask the vet on this one before you waste a lot of money and time.
For its breath, you can buy special bones or treats that make its breath smell good. I tried that with my dog and he had minty fresh breath for a week! :)
At 8 weeks old, the puppy shouldn't even be away from it's mother so its breath is a result of the inadequate diet it is getting (if it is not being nursed, then it is getting an inadequate diet).

If you cannot get it back to it's mother, then consult a vet for the best possible diet. I doubt that you will be able to give the pup nothing but dry food yet, but as soon as you can, a good, dry food will help with breath issues. Breaking a fish oil cap (filled with liquid) over the food will help with coat and skin smells and make them healthier.
now people say that mints help it depends on the dog! if its small i don't think so but yeah try a dentabone and its makes there mouth clean or ask ur vet what to do about it and the vet should not charge u for it. humans shampoo helps for the smell and dogs dint really sweat that's why they pant they cool down or go to a pet store and get doggy shampoo my dog loves the orange scented or its been away from mommy dog too long and needs her milk for nutrients or get no tears dog shampoo and mix like powder like baby powder and that helps
I brush my dogs teeth every couple of days and I think that really helps. However puppies have "puppy breath" so I don't know if that will really help with that. Learning how to brush your doggies teeth is god though, your doggie will be in better health and his breath will smell a lot better.
There are doggy mints you can get your dog at the store. Also ask the vet about dog toothpaste. As for the dog smell, well i just use apple blossom dish soap or some shampoo instead of the dog stuff. I think it works. The dog smell pretty good for while, just give it another bath when it smells.
believe it or not, there is dog perfume and cologne called CK9 and I boght some as a joke b/c I have 2 dogs but it smells pretty good and i use that when I don't want to bath my dogs.

There is also mints, like other people have sid, I think they're called YIP YAPS and they are in a blue tin at the register at my Petsmart so I'd check places like that, I think I may have seen they at Walmart too.

No comments:

Post a Comment