Friday, July 31, 2009

How to stop MinPin dog from barking and jumping at guests like he wants to attack. Lovable once he knows them?

Dog is 4yrs old. He is high spirited by nature and loveable to family and friends. Doesn't bite. But it scares people who come to visit by the way he barks and jumps. Looks like a small Doberman. If we put him in a separate room he barks and will bite through the door. He wants to meet the people.Help any MinPin owners!
Answers:
If you have a harness put the dog on the harness when your friends come over. Give your friends a treat ( We actually have a small jar that out side our door that all our friends know about. ) when they come in hold the leash tight and have your friend show the dog the treat, the dog will jump up excited but because you are holding the leash firmly they will not be able to put their paws on your guest. eventually the dog will tire its self and sit when they do give the dog the treat and tell him Good sit This worked for my dogs and now they did'nt need treats they sit when new people come in and wait to be pet .
one way to stop it is to tell him in a very strict voice or hit his head lightly with a fly swatter and it won't hurt the dog
We have a min pin that is 11 years old. He has always done this and I do not know any way of st oping him. These are small dogs and do love to be around people. Just keep doing what we do. We make sure who ever is coming in knows we have a small dog that will jump and bark but is very gentle and loving once the person is in the house. Be very care full when he jumping around. these dogs can have fragile leg bones. Make sure his diet is good and no table food.
I have 2 minpin females ,2years old i've had them since they were 6 weeks old they are also high spirited,very lovable . with my girls I show them i'm the leader of the pack.just let him know your in charge
Sorry. These dogs are very devoted and believe it is their job to protect their people. We let ours bark for a second and then call him over and tell him what a good jobs he has done and usually he shuts up after that. With a few reminders of "quiet!":
I also have a Min Pin. I have a few books on them and really try to educate myself on both of the types of dogs that we have. All of the books and articles on Min Pin's say-they are excessive barkers. The only thing that really works for us is to get a small spray bottle and squirt them a little with it. Good luck b/c they can bark and bark and bark.
But you can't help but love them!
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY MALE MIN PIN.GIVE THE PERSON A TREAT TO GIVE TO YOUR MIN PIN.THE BEST WAY TO A MIN PINS HEART IS WITH TREATS.NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH MY FEMALE.dagovalkyrie@.com
my female is 2 and she wants to eat up anyone that tries to enter
our house, if she knows the person then its okay, if not, then she will try to bark the whole time they are in the house and she avoids me cause she knows i will try to make her be quiet, some of the people she has started biting when they turn their backs to her
i try to anticipate anyone coming over by putting her on leash so i can control her

3 comments:

  1. Hi ~ my husband & I just rescued a Mini Pin ~ he loves me & is very protective, to protective. If my husband comes near me for any reason ~ this mini wants to attack him. When he comes home from work ~ he tries to attack him also.
    When I am not home ~ he is fine with my husband.
    Help ~ totally lost ~ my husband wants to get rid of the dog. Any suggestions??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, some people are gonna tell you to train your dog. Obviously it's too late. My room-mate has a min-pin who hates me, and it's been 2 years, and the dog still hates me. I have never been anything but kind to the dog, petting her, giving her treats, etc. She just barks like hell when my room-mate is home and I'm around. Nothing's gonna stop it. Get rid of the dog or get a divorce.

      Delete
  2. Only had our minding three months. She's so loving to us, but growls and barks at my family, OK now with the two grandsons, but afraid she'll bite. Should I get her train in? Growled and barked at the vet too;she said get her trained!

    ReplyDelete