Friday, July 31, 2009

How to teach a herding 7month dog to stop chasing some things?

I would like to teach her to stop chasing birds, people, bikes and soccer balls. When she sees them she gets really excited, if i tell her to sit she will get really agitated and keep looking at me to realsese her, then she will start yapping and pulling on the leash. I'v tried to tie her up and keep doing it infront of her (supposingly if they can't win they should lose there drive for it). I was going to try desensitizing and counter conditioning along with with negative and positive reinforce ment when she does the wrong/right thing. Can some one tell me exactly how to do it or if there is another way. TY
Answers:
In the first 3 months of a puppy's life is the time you should expose him/her to all kinds of experiences. By the sounds of it also it sounds like your puppy is your boss not the other way around. It may sound stupid but don't let the doggy win every play fight or tug of war. Playing is how packs of dogs decide who is the alpha dog. In your puppy's pack that should be you. Another thing I did with my dog is I let her sit before she eats, I show her stay while I put her food down, then she has to sit still until I tell her she can eat. (Alpha dogs eat before the rest, so the rest must wait) When I go into the room I make sure I enter the room before she does.
The ways you mentioned that you want to take charge of it sounds like the best ways to make your dog behave.
What I'd also do is give it set toys to play with like a squeaky toy. make sure you dog know that the squeaky is it's toy and not the ball.
Basic obedience training would help as well
This is really hard because you are trying to eliminate an instinct bred into your dog. We have a Border Collie and she's much the same. In our case, she herds/chases our children and it comes with a bit of nipping. Not aggressive in any way, but just what they do to herd. We are not discouraging the herding behavior, but trying to teach her not to bite when she does it. My boys actually love to run chase and be chased by her anyway (high energy kids for a high energy dog).

I would suggest distracting your pup with things she can herd/chase. Toys, a ball to chase and anything else that she will take an interest in and direct her attention away. So rather than try to eliminate an instinct, teach your pup where she can use it.

Herding dogs are a big challenge for this reason. I would also suggest considering some puppy training classes where a good trainer will be able to assist you in ways to divert your pups attention. It will take time either way as an instinct is hard to distract!

No comments:

Post a Comment