Thursday, July 30, 2009

how to calm my dog down?

we have a new dog she is a very big dog
i have to young children and my dog keeps knocking them over because she is bigger then my children
when people come through the door both my dogs jump up at people and is hurting people how do i stop them?
also are new dog we have had her 6 months and ever person who walks past are house she barks at them and every car and every knock on the door how do i calm her barking down?
Answers:
Hiya D
I know what your going through, my Dalmatians are the same. The kids get it and other people. Funny thing is they never do it to me. I have tried everything. In the end i had to put them in there beds each time someone came to the house, The barking was like howling but when they started that i did the same brought them in and put to bed, i done this for 3 weeks it was hard going on me and my dogs. Now they know when they do it they are going to be taken in and put into there beds so they have stopped now thank god
Two words: obedience school!
Short of that, dog traning for dummies might help you out (not that you are stupid, that is the title LOL)
This is a behavioral problem that can be overcome with proper training and enough exercise for the dog. The jumping is aggression, and sometimes it is best to let a professional trainer handle that as it is very hard to break and very frustrating for an owner.
Most dog trainers are worth at least twice what they charge, so bite the bullet and get a dog that is MUCH better trained than your average pet..and will love you for it!
Also, try the link below for some ideas
Tease it. Take it's food out and make she to her cage(if she have one).
Just make sure you don't open your door when the mailman comes by..that is the mistake that most people make and it is very annoying.
They think their dogs won't run out..and they don't care that their dogs go after the mailman.
Well I am here to tell you..I am a mailman and I carry mace..and i do spray if I don't know the dog.
When a mailman gets bit,he loses time off from work,and gets a letter of warning from his boss because he didn't take proper care in protecting himself..enough said.
they need training not to behave like this, they are going to hurt your children you say they keep knocking them over,

get some help with training them as soon as possible
I must make a joke out of this, Im sorry, I can't help it.

To calm your dog down. well, that's easy - just hit him with something heavy on his head. That should do the trick - permanently.

- Peace out.
Have you had her neutered?? if not, you should! But also, when you train her make sure you are looking straight into her eyes - make her look into yours - that way she will learn respect and then you will gain authority. She has a brain and it needs training!
put some lead in its ear
I had a soft muzzle I used for my incessant barker.. I only had to apply it a few times.. I told him to 'shhhh' and if he didn't the muzzle was applied, and I repeated, 'shhhh'.soon, if he barked after I said, 'shhh', I would pick up the muzzle, and he would instantly hush..then, I just hung the muzzle on the wall, and he would bark once and look at it.lol.I only put it on him for 5 minutes or less when i began.Used it maybe 5 times..
As for the jumping, there are so many good sites here, I'll just post the link and you can decide what fits you best> http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=na.
Here is my suggestion. Start by keeping her on a leash at all times for a while. When you go to the door (where she would have jumped up on visitors in greeting), make her sit and stay. Bring the visitors on in. Tell her what a good girl she is. Be prepared to correct her if she gets up or jumps up.

For the children, that will be more difficult, I taught mine a command we call easy. I started the dog off in a sit/stay or down/stay position, brought the kids in, and then when the kids had their spaces (sitting on the couch or whatever) I released the dog and we went to greet the kids. When she started getting too excited and/or rough with the kids say easy, give her a correction, and put her back in a sit/stay or down/stay position. Wait 30 seconds or so, and start again. Whenever she gets too rough, use the command easy and back her off.

If you do this consistantly, you can have this control even when she is not on her leash.

Good luck!
just dont shout keep it calm and treat her to a dog buiscuit when she stops barking make sure you use the same command like quiet

No comments:

Post a Comment