Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to curb my dogs jealousy?

My dog, a year old, is always getting attention yet when I am with my husband having a moment or with my child, this dog needs to get into the middle of it and literally move the hands until they are on this dog.

Can this be stopped?
Answers:
Watch the dog whisperer on National Geographic channel.

What you need to do is retrain your dog with more discipline. Its the running theme of the shows I have seen. He goes into a lot of depth on the show on techniques and things to show you how.

The basics are..you have to establish dominance with your dog. Affection embraces the bad behavior.so by you giving in and petting him your actually negatively enforcing him as the "pack leader" You need to take back your status as the pack leader, then the dog will become one of the pack again, and you'll be all straightened up.

Just finished watching a marathon yesterday on it.
Seriously watch the show.it show you the basics of it all.
let your child play with your dog or put your dog outside the room or house
Maybe but I don't think so. So what is so terrible?
the dog wants in on the loving. that is what you got the dog for so give him or her all the loving that he or she wants.
Give your dog lots of pats and then put him outside or in another room when you are having special time with your husband or child. I would love an affectionate dog like that!
Some dogs just need to be touched constantly. My basenji mix is like this too. While I still have some moments where she'll root her nose under my hand to get petted, I don't reinforce this. I tell her to lay down and when she does, I move my foot over next to her so she knows I'm still touching her, but I'm not going to pet her just because she decided she needed to be loved on.

It's mostly halted the rooting behavior, except in the morning at night when she knows I'm gonna spend a few minutes loving on her.
Doesn't it seem to you that he's actually telling you what to do? I assume as soon as he's pushing his way between you, you give him some affection.You're literally rewarding him for being pushy like that if you give him attention. Take him to some obedience classes, he needs to learn some manners, and you need to learn how to become the pack leader and when to give affection.Being a great leader doesn't mean you need to become a dictator..You can still show your tremendous love for your dog by rewarding the good behaviors that you would like to keep around..He's not doing it because he's "jealous", he's doing it because he can, and he gets what he wants..
Take some time out of your day to play with her. She is begging for attention, and deserves it. Just take a ball outside and play with her. Throw it around for awhile, get on the ground and wrestle with her. Have your husband and child do the same, so she does not feel threatened. She is just protective.

Or have a certain time of the day give her a rawhide and when she is chewing on it. Take that time to be with your husband and child. She will than get used to the time being and award time, and maybe not be so threatened.

No comments:

Post a Comment