Thursday, July 30, 2009

how to cope with a lost pet?

i had my dog nancy for 16 years and she just recently died on sunday i am having a hard time accepting that she is no longer with us i am 23 and got her when i was 7 i dont remember life without her kinda sounds corny but it is how i feel and i feel as thou there is something missing and it makes me depressed i was wondering if there was any good advice or experience with coping with the death of a pet that someone had for a long time
Answers:
I am so sorry for your loss, it is always hard to loss a pet. I lost most recently a dog I only had for a short time (maybe three years) and it is still hard.

The things I have done are keeping the memories very close to my heart and pictures of them out where I can see them whenever I want. Sometimes I just close my eyes and see them.

I had Willie for a very long time and then his son Bear for even longer, in that same time I had Custard and she and Bear lived for over 15 years. When I had to put Custard down it was the saddest day of my life but I still remember buying her when I was 8 and burying her when I was 21. It's very hard but the easiest way to cope is to remember and lean on someone for strength. I "retired" the leash and anything else that was my pets and put them in a shadow box with pictures or hung them up after decorating them. It makes me smile to walk by.

There is a poem "The Rainbow Bridge" it will make you cry but its worth it.

So sorry for your loss.

Take care.
http://www.gonebutnotforgotten.us/petlos.
This is a very good site. I think it will bring you some piece.
get a lot of klenixes and just crie it out that is what i had to do! when you fell it coming let it out there is nothing wrong with it!
sometimes we never really get over the loss of a friend, but time
does heal all wounds. take one day at a time and remember all the good times. one day you'll meet again at rainbow bridge.
sorry about your loss.
I am so sorry for your loss. It is just like losing a human family member, or someone very close to you. It is so hard. I have lost many over the years, because I have owned pets for over 35 years. Allow yourself to grieve. Remember the good times. Write a poem to your dog if you like doing poetry. Just write down your thoughts to her, tell her how much she meant to you and thank her for being such a wonderful friend and companion. One day when you are ready, get another dog, not to replace the one you lost but to help feel the void left behind. God Bless you and help you to heal this sad loss.
yeah, i'd say just cry. sometimes it just makes you feel better. it'll get better in time. my family has had our dog for ten years. i'm fifteen, and i know i'm gonna be depressed and sad just like you are when she's gone. i try not to think about it though. hang in there. i hope it gets better for you!
I don't think it ever gets any easier. I console myself with the thought that I wouldn't trade the pain for all the good times. And yes, I have cried harder over losing pets than some people-and why not-they were always there for me (the pets).
It is always hard. All of our dogs have lived 15 or more years. We had to put one down last year. I still miss him.
I hear you. I had two cats who were actually concieved and born in my house (car in the garage). I loved them with everything I had. In fact, they truly saved my life when I had hard times in my 20's. They lived till they were 15 (brother and sister) and after multiple surgeries to remove the cancer growing in them, I had no choice but to put them to sleep. In the same week. They were both that sick. That was 3 years ago now and I still miss them. They were more than family members, they were soulmates of mine. All I could say is that I understand your pain and that with time things will get easier. You'll never replace your beloved companion but let time pass and it really does get easier. So sorry.
I am so sorry for your loss. I recently lost my cat of 11 years. I just always felt that when i got home i would see her running to greet me. i suppose that was my denial stage.
One thing that actually helped me was joking around with family or friends about her. Just remembering how funny or amazing she was.
There IS something missing and you SHOULD be sad and depressed. There is NOTHING wrong with you. If you WEREN'T sad - then I'd worry. As I get (much) older, I have begun to realize there is truth to the saying "time heals all wounds." You will never be the same, you will always miss her - but you are a better man for having had her in your life. You obviously have learned love and compassion, if not from her, from your family AND her.
Find the story about the Rainbow Bridge. It's amazing how many people have never heard of it.
When YOUR time comes - Nancy will be there waiting for you. In the meantime, she is in a wonderful place where she is happy and free, no pain, no cruelty, just lots of other happy dogs and lots of rabbits to chase. Fresh water, green grass, sunshine and happiness.
When you come - you will cross the Rainbow Bridge and she will be there to greet you. You will then BOTH go to heaven together. She's free - no pain. You will miss her always - but it will get better.
Don't laugh at this - I'm serious. I didn't know where I was going to put my Sam's ashes (yeah, I went the whole nine yards with the intention of scattering them). I kept them with me for at least a week until I finally buried the tin they came in in the back garden. (I put the tin in two plastic bags first.) If I ever move - she'll come with me. I got a marker with her name and dates that looks like a stone and fits well in the garden. Now I feel like an idiot for doing all that (especially the taking her with me everywhere for a week - in her tin), but at the time I couldn't bear the thought that she was actually GONE!! I also have lots of fun with unsuspecting visitors if they happen to be standing on her without realizing it.
Hang in there. The good memories will rise to the surface and you will remember those the most - but don't think a tear won't come to your eye from time to time 10-20 years from now when you see her picture - it will - but with it will also come a smile.
Good luck and God Bless.
Sam's Mom
Reading all of this has tears in my eyes as I think of my Sadie and Noey. I have both of their ashes still .I can't part with their ashes. If I ever move I want the both of them to come with me ,not leave them here all alone with strangers living in the house.When we had to pts Noey I was crushed ,and cried for days. I thought this pain and sadness would never get better. It has .I have her pictures in frames in my house. I can look at her and smile and remember the good times we had with her.Pts Noey was devestating ,but to fill a empty spot and not to replace Noey we bought Sadie . I had Sadie for 2.50 years and her death was extremely tragic and devestating and I still cry even 3 years later thinking of her because of the way she died . It wasn't fair and pure negligence of a vetinary hospital.I have Sadies puppy pic on my fridge , and pics of her around my house . I did get Piper not to replace Sadie ,but to help with the pain .Piper has ,I love her like my 2 other dogs.I've always said i'll never get another dog because when you loose them in life the pain is unbearable. Time does heal all wounds and the love from a dog ,they being your best friend and companion ,there's nothing like the feeling of having a dog in your life.I wouldn't trade that feeling for anything.

My condolences to you. I'm very sorry for your loss.
First off, ALLOW yourself to grieve. Do not feel "stupid" because some people might say "Oh it was just a dog". That's not accurate, she was your family member.
It's ok to be upset.
I lost my son Bruiser, an English Bulldog last year and I still have a hard time sometimes. look up the rainbow bridge site online - they have memorials you can do for free - writing etc. to just help you get it out.
I am so sorry to hear about your loss.

We have all grown up knowing that death is a part of life. But, knowing that, still does not make it easy.

Take time to grieve and to cry. But also take time to smile and be happy. Remember all of the years you've shared with Nancy. Think about the good times, and the not-so-good times. Talk about her and keep her memory close to you.

If you have her collar and tags, put them where you can see them. Look at old pictures and just think about her and everything she was to you.

When you're alone, and you get that feeling that "someone" is there, know that it's Nancy, and she is missing you too.

When you get that sense that she is with you, it's because she is, in spirit.

When the time is right, get another dog or cat or whatever.No pet can ever be replaced, but I believe that they want you to move on in life, just as they have moved on in death.

The best thing you can to is to let grief play out it's natural course. The worse thing you can do, is close your heart.

As cliche as this sounds, time does heal all wounds, but love transcends time. You will always feel a bit of hurt when you think of her, but you will move on. You will see her again some day.

She will never leave your heart, nor you hers.

If you talk to her, she can still hear you.

No comments:

Post a Comment