Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to calm down a hyper Lab?

My four month old lab is so hyper..What are some good ways to calm her down? I have her outside to run all over the place. The minute I get home she is all over me jumping, running and biting my leg. I hate to get mad at her for that but she is so hyper..She calms down after half an hour after I return home. I don't want to distemper either. I don't really like the way it makes a dog act. There like zombies when they are distempered. I just wanted to know if there is any other way to hyper down my dog?
Answers:
OBEDIENCE CLASSES. and TONS of exercise!! they are a working breed of dog who was created with a job in mind and if that is not fulfilled, then they are sometimes quite a handful. A worn out dog is easier to train, so go for a LONG walk BEFORE you try to teach her any commands. Your dog needs it's vaccines the same way a human child does..to build an immunity against disease. It isn't the "distemper" that is making her like a zombie. It's doing too many vaccines at the same time that is doing it. Trust me, you don't want your dog to contract a disease that is easily prevented with a vaccine. Be responsible and vaccinate her and train her. Find a good dog trainer in your area: ask your vet for a referral.
Exercise her. Just because she's let outside by herself doesn't mean she'll exercise herself either. Dogs need mental and physical stimulation. Walk her daily in the morning and evening, have training periods when you're teaching her a new skill or trick.

You've got a high-energy dog and she'll need lots of daily work and activity to stay focused.

Take her to a puppy kindergarten so she can learn vital socialization skills with other dogs and people.
I'm "mom" to a 2 yr old black lab. They tend to be spazzy till about 2 or 3 yrs old by nature, but you can save your sanity by exercising the dog. An exhaused lab is a happy lab
Labs are very hyper sometimes. Understandable that you dont like the way she acts. The main thing you want to do is calm down yourself, dogs can since your mood. After you do that, find another option for her besides jumping on you. My dog used to do the same thing, I came in with a bone and told him to sit from the other side of the door.Slowly I would open the door but when he flipped out I started over. Same thing with his over eagerness of the food. If this is unclear to you or you need more help, email me.
let her run it off
First you are saying you don't want to have her SPAYED , distemper is an illness that is almost always fatal.

At 16 weeks your dog is still just a puppy,, give her a chance. She is really to young still for serious training. You will want to just be working on bonding at that age with training kept on a "lets play" fun bases. Formal training should start at about 6-7 months.
Read "Cesar's Way" by Cesar Millan star of the National Geographic show "The Dog Whisperer". I believe this is a must read for every dog owner!
But if you don't want to read it then I'll just sum it up for you:
Exercise, Exercise, Exercise!
Just having your dog outside to run all over the place doesn't cut it. You must become "pack leader" and walk/run/bike/roller-blade/wha. with your dog.
Your dog is so hyper because of all the pent up energy she has. With exercise she will be able to release that energy and become a calmer, happier dog.
What on earth is a "distemper"? I've only heard of that in conjunction with a disease, which requires inocculation.
First of all, she is not getting enough attention. You ought to have figured that out by her actions. Secondly, she is a puppy, and some breeds are more hyper than others, and some dogs in that breed are more hyper than their siblings.
You need to take her to dog obedience training - which just teaches the dog to obey certain commands, as hyper dogs need mental activity as well as physical activity.
If it makes you feel any better, my Border Collie drove me nuts for the first 10 months to a year. He is now the best dog on the planet. But I've spent a great deal of time training him and just being with him. He used to have a "zoom time" for 2 hours every evening, when he just flew around from room to room and from couch to chair and bed to bed. He also ate half my clothes if they were within reach.
With time spent with your puppy, and IN time, she should be just fine. Remember, she's just a kid.
2 weeks ago I had the same problem with my 4,5 months old dog. I realized that I had over stimulated her, keeping her busy at all times. The trick is less is more. You should play with her, but calm games like searching for treats or something like that. To start resolving my problem with MY hyper dog, I put her on a leash inside, and turned my back at her until she was calm. When she settled, I gave her lots of attention. I stopped playing rough pulling games and ball games with her, and I never allow her to bite me. If she bites, it's the leash until she settles. Over stimulation is often the problem with young dogs, not under stimulation :-)

EDIT: After a while you'll get better at seing WHY the dog is hyper. Some times they start up the machinery when they're overly tired. Then they need to be calmed. Sometimes they're hungry, some times they just want your attention. You may do different things about it in the differen situations. Mine still needs calming around dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment