Friday, July 31, 2009

How to maintaining my french bulldog puppy's coat?

I have a 3 month cream French Bulldog puppy. Right now his coat is very soft. I saw an older French Bulldog, and his coat was pretty harsh and rough. I am a novice about French bulldogs -

Is there any way I can help maintain his coat, as he grows older, to be soft and shiny as it is right now?

Thanks!
Answers:
Puppy coats are soft. However, a harsh coat is not typical in a Frenchie (I'm talking about a true harsh coat, like a terrier).
It could be that the dog you saw isn't getting proper nutrition.

The shine comes from inside and out! I use a natural bristle brush on my Frenchie at least three times a week. A chamois will also bring oils to the surface. Use a good quality shampoo and conditioner when you bathe (not too often!) Frenchies can be prone to skin problems, and it's best to catch those early. A daily spritz with distilled water and wipedown with the chamois will help remove dust and impurities from his coat.

Whether you feed a raw diet or a mix of kibble, chicken, etc., make sure your pup is getting what he needs for his overall health. I also use a powdered supplement and flax oil for all of our dogs.

Did his breeder give you some guidance regarding diet and grooming?

You also might look at the AKC website for some publications about French Bulldogs, or attend a show and talk to a breeder/exhibitor. Good luck--they are wonderful dogs!
No. That is his puppy coat, and it will be replaced by his adult coat as he gets older. You can keep it in good condition with grooming and premium kibble, but that's about it.
you have to pay the money for shampoo and conditioner from your vet, you can not buy stuff from the store.

No comments:

Post a Comment