Thursday, July 30, 2009

How to get rid of pet smell in house?

What are some good, permanent ways to get rid of the dog smell in my apartment (OTHER THAN GETTING RID OF MY DOG,LOL) I don't know how he stinks so bad, we bathe him once every other month like we were told to, we wipe him down every other day with a bathe wipe and use doggy cologne every so often. he NEVER goes outside, and we are constantly cleaning his litter box area..yes,my dog has a litter box. The smell doesn't bother ME, but it's kinda embarrassing having family over and all they smell is the dog. I love my lil puppy, but he sure is stinky!
Answers:
Mine uses litter boxes too. First I give mine a bath every other week. Sometimes weekly. It won't hurt to bathe him more often.

I just came back to your post and I am sorry but it seems that you have been misinformed about bathing. It will not hurt him at all to bathe him more often. Talk to a Vet about this issue. My vet recommends weekly. My best friend has a pug and she bathes her every week with no problem. She uses a very mild puppy shampoo even though her dog is an adult.

We also use an air purifier next to the box. It has helped tremendously. We don't have any smell at all.

I also don't take my yorkies out on the grass. They hate the grass. I do let them out on the porch for fresh air.

You may also want to clean the carpet just in case there were some accidents that occured that you didn't catch. I used a regular carpet cleaner (rented it) and use part soap and part dog urine remover. If you look on the back of a urine remover bottle it will usually give instructions on how much to use to clean with a carpet cleaner.

Good luck. That is what solved my problems. Hope it helps.
ya
let me come over and fart some my farts smell like avon products
maybe use Febreze, wash his bedding, use carpet deoderizer/freshener.
I use white vinegar and/or Simple Green to mop the floor and shampoo the carpet. Works better than any commercial treatment I've ever used. Febreze anti-allergen formula works wonders on the furniture as well.
First of All, the fart comment is grossss. I would try using a odor eliminator, such as Oust. You could try somthing like a Glade Plug In, or Oust Fan instead of constantly spraying air freshener. Otherwise, you could as your dog's vet.
I spray last thing at night with an antibacterial room spray and have Glade plug-ins. The combination seems to work.
i dont know where you got the idea to bathe your dog only once every other month, thats ridiculous. bathe them once a week fi they go in and out. if they have irritable skin , buy shampoo specially for that. shampoo your carpets.
Arm and Hammer carpet deodorizer and Febreze work wonders.
That litter box you have for him may be causing alot of your problem.How often do you clean it?
Do you scoop it out once to several times per day as needed.And when you do where does the mess go?Do you empty the box weekly and scrub it with bleach?
If I were you I'd scoop the box out as needed daily.Put the mess in a plastic grocery sack and tie it up before tossing in the trash.
What litter are you using?You may want to consider switching to one that is scented to help with the smell.
I have two dogs and three cats. I use an airfreshener that plugs into an outlet and has a filter in it. It was pretty cheap at Walmart and I just change the filters every couple months. I also keep the litter box on vinyl floor because the carpet can soak up the smell and make it smell worse than it really is. Also use a vaccum with a filter in it to soak up some of the smell. I hope this helps.
There are these anti sray,to get rid of germs,it smells really good,or u could clean you carpet.Y it stinks is probaly ur puppy pees around the house and in hiddden plae u don't notice, so check around spaces and try to clean it off
Yeah why would you only bathe your dogonce every other month!. My goodness. I have a pug, and she gets a bath every sunday night. I had a service man come over, and he couldnt even tell I had a dog, cause there was no smell, as long as you keep her clean, as you wold yourself, no problems. and why wouldnt you let your dog outside?.. isnt that kinda cruel to not let them breathe the same fresh air as you do?. they need excerise just as much as you do.. I think your bein cruel.
febreeze, candles, washing his bed/blankets regularly
bath him more often than every two months, everyone i know baths their dog on a weekly basis. get him checked by a vet he could have an inner ear infection. that makes them smell
1. Pet urine really stinks. Why does it smell so bad?

"The potent "ammonia" odor that you associate with urine are actually the by products of airborne bacteria feeding on the proteins and urea found in the urine."

2. Can all pet odors, including urine, really be removed? Are the odors just being covered up?

"However, assuming that you are using a high quality reputable product there are very few odors that cannot be removed. It is important to note that successful odor abatement is not a quick and easy task. Those looking for fast and cheap solutions will likely be very disappointed."

There's a TON more good information about pet smells in this interview. YOu can't go wrong.

Do you have a serious cat urine problem? Dog odor issues?
http://www.pet-comfort-products.com/odor.

No comments:

Post a Comment