Saturday, May 22, 2010

I adopted a dog that loves people but would always growl at all dogs. Why?

She used to be kenneled at a doggie daycare before we adopted her where she's always around dogs. She seemed to get along with them. She was the most even-tempered dog ever. The problem started when we took her home. Now, whenever she encounters other dogs, she growls like crazy. I think she was a puppy mill mom - I don't know if that has anything to do with it. I'm a little worried because she may one day bite another doggie.
Answers:
Your dog needs to be socialized. Take your dog to a good puppy kindergarten class that includes socialization. Once your dog learns how to communicate well with other dogs and other people it'll be safer to take your dog out among other dogs at places like the dog park and PetSmart.

Until your dog is socialized I'd be very careful about letting your dog meet new dogs. It isn't safe for your dog or other dogs until then. It isn't hopeless, just try to begin socialization as soon as possible.
If the dog was ever out on Its own the it Probably had to fight for food, or got into fights with other dogs, I have a cat thats the same way.
There is a lot to learn about dog's psychology. They want to protect their master. That is why they barks on other dogs.
The dog is very protective,
my lab is the same
I would suggest seeking out a trainer in your area that specializes in behavioral issues. They will be able to individually evaluate your dog and address with training methods that would work best for her personality type.
I have a dog, and I think that they bark at other dogs, because they are trying to protect themselves.
She doesn't know those other dogs and is trying to protect you pretty much
She either wasn't socialized properly or she is being protective of you. I am leaning towards the protecting you idea as you stated that she was around other dogs and this behavior only started after you got her. You need to discipline her when she acts this way. If you don't discipline her she will gradually get worse.
My dog is the same way, my dog is very jealous of other dogs I show attention to. Just try to keep her seperate from other dogs.
email me if u want an email buddy that LOVES wildlife
jefffrickman@yahoo.com
Give the dog time. Take the dog on WALKS. I mean really walk her. Dogs love to walk, walk, walk, smell and pee and poop. After some time, take her to a dog park, gradually let the dog experience---so gradually, more and more. Get toys for the dog, geared for that breed. Even talk, and even bring the dog into Petsmart. They have knowledgable people who could give you more information. Care for the dog, bathe, towell dry and play with the dog. f she came from a puppy mill- consider that like an abused child! Be very sweet, very loving, even a pit can be wonderful if raised very carefully. Months ago, I happened to see a young man bring 2 pits into the dog park. He had those dogs under HIS control, and those dogs didn't do anything, unless the owner gave the o.k. That's nice to see!- View Cesar- has a whole pack of dogs-and they all walk BEHIND him!

No comments:

Post a Comment