Saturday, May 22, 2010

I am having trouble house training my Daschund. Any suggestions ?

He is about 7 months old. He does have good days and bad days.
Answers:
Hi, I have three dachshunds and I love mine. Two females and one male. Sometimes males takes a little longer to get the idea. But don't use a pee pee pad. I used them for my little female and she was getting to use to it and didn't want to go outside to potty.

I would rub her nose in it and take her right out even though she already went on the floor. How often do you feed your dog. It might sound dumb, but from the on start of eating untill they are finished, which is about 15 minutes, as soon as they are done, take him out. Puppys should be fed about three times a day, depending on the age and size. I feed my in the morning and afternoon. one half cup each feeding. 5:00 is the last they get fed. Then you should have a limit on the intake of water. Put that up also about seven or eight. Yes praise your dog when he does good, but also let him knnow when he has been bad. You can tell him bad dog and put him out. Just keep after him if you have the time. If you have some baby gates put them up also. Limit him for right now to a certain room. Even if it's the same room your in. They love attention and crave your approval. They don't realize when they have done something bad. Don't punish your dog if he did go potty whenyou werena't around because they don't know they did wrong. If you put him in a cage or crate when you are gone from home, as soon as you get in take him right out. They get excited and will potty right on the spot or on you. Some dogs get nervous and will piddle a little. My female does that sometimes. Yes praise you dog every time they do something right, but you don't have to give them treats all the time. Too many and they can get fat. Treats are for special times. Giving them lots of love sometimes can be enough. Our dogs sleep with us and love to cuddle. They say a dog won't potty where it sleeps, but sometimes it does happen. Not the bed, but in there cage. If you work and can trust someone, have them go to your house just to let your little one out at certain times too. Or if you can come home for lunch. You have to get your dog into a routine for it to work. It takes a lot of patience for it to work. Please don't give uup on your little one, because a lot of people do and end up getting rid or them or just letting them to fend for themselves and drop them off some where.
We were given a dog that some one said they found. I don't believe the story. I think they just wanted to get rid of it. But she was a good dog, but since I had three and this one didn't get along with my older female, I gave her to a friend whose dog died this past July. She loves her and is well taken care of.

Sorry I don't mean to tell you how to raise your dog. I just don't want you to get frustrated with yours and give up. They are loveable little dogs and once you get the potty thing done, you will love him to pieces, if you don't already.

Hope this has helped some, and if you need more help just e mail me and I will try some more. Have a nice night.
Keep him crated when you can't watch him. Take him out often and praise the dickens out of him when he goes on the grass.
Keep trying. I have a dachshund who is house trained, but it took a while to train her. I checked out a book from the library, that helped alot. Also, make sure you reward him with treats when he is good and scold him when he is bad. Be persistant. Hope that helps.i love dachshunds!
get a pee pad and put it where he goes to the bathroom in the house and he will start to pee their. every day move it closer to the door and soon you can move it outside and he will go to the door when he wants to go. just keep an eye out for when he goes to the door then.
take him outside often and before long he will ask to go out.

No comments:

Post a Comment