Monday, May 24, 2010

I am worried my dog is coming to the end of her life. How do I know?

My dog has had at least one seizure a year since 1999. She hasn't had a seizure for 2 years. This morning she had a seizure that she was in and out of for a total of one and a half hours. During the seizure she started breathing real heavy. Then threw-up. Then she wanted outside and did not want to come in. Then her seizure got real bad. She just lay on the deck going in and out of the seizure. Then after the seizure was over, she just keeps lying around. Breathing heavy. She did eat, and kept it down. But I am still concerned. Her behavior is not like it has been when she has a seizure. She always looks for me before a seizure and I sit on the floor with her throughout, Today she wanted me and my daughter. She has always been a mama's girl. But she has never just layed about for the whole day. She has never gotten sick. Also, 2 months ago we put her buddy to sleep. He was older than she. I know she is missing him. Any advice? What do I look for?
Answers:
I'm so sorry. Although I've never had a dog with seizures, I know what it's like to have a dog that is old and sick I.I had to put to put three dogs to sleep in a six month period, the last one which was a puppy I adopted from the pound and had Distemper, unknown to me hen I adopted her.

Unfortunately, this is a question that only you can can answer. You said that she hasn't had a seizure in two years, so maybe, it will be a long time before she has another one. I would watch her and see how she acts tonight.. I presume that she is on some kind of anti-seizure medication. If she isn't, then maybe she should be.

Call the vet in the morning and see what the vet suggests. If your dog is still eating and acting otherwise normal, without any pain or seizures, then enjoy what time you have left with her and spoil her her rotton.

I think when you look in her eyes, you'll know when it's time to say good-bye. That was how I knew. I could see it.

I'm really sorry, and I hope everything goes well and she doesn't continue to have seizures. Best of luck to you both.
TAKE HER TO THE VET!
This is very sad for you and her. She is grieving for her buddy and is probably the onset of the seizure and is not unnormal for them to vomit. Since she had such a long seizure and not just one I would definitely call the vet. She is totally drained from the events she has gone thru. The heavy breathing is her being out of breath or feeling sick. Make her surroundings calm and quiet and be there for her but call the vet ASAP for further advice. Is she on medication for this?
Before a dog dies, they lose interest in things that they have always enjoyed. Eating, playing, walks,etc. They lay around more, sleep more. It is hard for them to get up and walk around. They become very weak. With the seizure being so bad, that may be one sign that she is getting weaker. I would take her to the vet tomorrow and let him give her a good checkup. My thoughts are with you. I am sure she is mourning the loss of her dear buddy and this as not helped with her health issues. How old is the dog?
Her body may just be tired and is starting to shut down. Coupling that with her emotional distress from loosing her friend, she might be deciding that it's time to go too. Sometimes a new companion can help. Have you considered getting another dog? Probably not a rambunctious puppy, but a calm middle-aged dog from the pound could be nice. A new dog might also help you emotionally if you're girl does need to be put down. Have you talked to a vet about her latest episode? Her condition might have changed with age, or she might have ate something to set off such a bad seizure.
Remember, sometimes they just know when to go, so take your cues from her. She'll tell you if she's ready. I know it's a horribly painful decision, but their physical comfort is sometime more important than our emotional attachments.
I've lost many a pet, and I miss them all, but you can always talk to them about it before and after. That can help.
I think you should have her checked out. Don't wait out the seizures. Maybe there is something that could be done to help her, or maybe she is suffering.
ask her
call the vets office and tell them and may be they can get her in right away and check her out you will know when an animal is dying they will go and hide and not want to come out of hiding i found my dog dead in the garage as that is where she went to hide as she knew that we did not go to that garage very often
i have known dogs that were dying, to go someplace to be alone to die. (like under a deck, in a closet..) my heart goes out to you and your dog..i lost my rotty last january, and her dog companion, a JRT, was so heartbroken, it took getting a puppy in the house to pull the JRT outta the same depression i had..we are both better now with the new puppy. Take her to the vet, and if the vet is good, they will tell you the truth, at least then, if the dog needs to be put to sleep, it will be pain free..although not for you..so sorry about your dog..
Your dog will tell you when she is ready. Losing her buddy has changed her world and this stress has probably intensified the seizures. You don't say how old she is, but no matter the age, when it becomes kinder to her to let her go then to make her stay then it will be time. She and you will know the right time.
Is she currently being managed medically for seizures with phenobarbital or potassium bromide? If so her levels might need to be checked and her medication ajusted. As time goes on they need increased doses of their medication. If she is not on any medication then she needs to be seen by the veterinarian to determine what medication type and dose are right for her. If managed with medication she could live quite awhile longer. If you don't want to pay for a vet or medication then you might just need to put her to sleep as it is inhumane and dangerous to have an animal that seizures without the benefit of medical treatment.
We had a cocker that was 13 years old.towards the end he was blind and started having seizures as well that kept getting progressively worse. I made the decision to end his suffering because it was unfair to him,letting him suffer through the seizures after he had given our family so many years of love.On the way to the Vet he was at ease and when I was given a few minutes to talk to him before the Vet came back in with the shot..he layed his head on my hand and gave me a kiss..rolled on his side and was ready. He went very peacefully and I know he was so happy to end his pain and suffering. Your beloved pet will let you know when the time is coming. If she wants you near when she is having her seizures she will also let you know when she is ready. Bless you and your lovely pet. Also her loss of her play mate is very real and she is probably grieving the emptiness.
after u have been given professional help pick three off her fav things example going swimming ,playing fetch or getting up on the couch for a cuddle when these things start 2 disapear then its time 2 say good bye.
life can be crap sometimes

No comments:

Post a Comment