Saturday, May 22, 2010

I am getting a lab puppy at 6wks, how much will it probably weigh and how big will it be?


Answers:
Must be getting it from a backyard breeder, because real breeders know that 6 weeks is too young to let puppies go. AKC does not even allow you to sell them until 7 weeks.
A dog can have behavior problems if taken away too soon.
my lab is 5 yrs old and she' weights about 60 pnds
my Yellow Lab is 4 years old now, the princess of the house, happy to see everyone, but she has "big bones" ;-).actually she weighs about 88 pounds. at 6 weeks, she'll probably be all legs and feet and clock in at around 15 lbs. Feed her good chow, because they can have sensitive tummies and skin. You are going to be sooooo happy with your new puppy, but I highly recommend you do the training routine. Dogs are dogs and we have to learn to communicate with them so everyone can be happy. Read the Dog whisperer's book, lots of great info, if you don't get his show on the cable (like me . boo hoo). I have three dogs now, and I can't imagine life without them, they are my pack, and my lab of course being the largest of the three, is also the sweetest, best even-tempered of all of them. Good luck !!
You might want to wait to get a lab puppy at 8 weeks.
Well, at 6 weeks, not very big. The male Labradors usually get a lot bigger and weigh more than the females. I have a chocolate/black Lab in my life (I love her so) and she's not that big really. She is now 4 years old and weighs 60 lbs. They are pretty active, well mannered, so smart, and dedicated to boot! (am I bragging?) Uh huh!
I don't know what else to tell you, except I've never had a male lab before, so I only know they grow to be larger than the females. But remember one thing, they have to have a lot of excercise because they have a tendancy to put on weight! Good luck.
The standard size and weight for a full grown lab is:

Females: 21.5-23.5 inches tall and 55-70 pounds
Males: 22.5-24.5 inches tall and 65-80 pounds

As for the weight at 6 weeks, probably around 8-15 pounds.

Hope that helps.
My lab was about 5 pounds when I brought her home at 7 weeks old. And when she got older she maintained a weight of around 55 pounds. It really depends upon the size of the parents. Her mom was about 45 pounds and her dad was about 65 pounds, and maybe even a bit bigger.
Good for you! I have two sisters that are 9 months old. They are a hand full but bring so much joy to us!

Their size depends on whether you have a male or female. The females usually are a little smaller than the males. A full grown male will come in at about 75 to 80 lbs. The female about 65 to 70 lbs. They are pretty big dogs but have big hearts to match.

They are wonderful around children. Usually very easy going and loving.

I truly hope you enjoy your puppy as much as we have enjoyed Nicki and Bailey.
What kind of breeder is going to give you the pup at six weeks.they need to be at least 8. They may be wiened from mom.but they need the time to get some puppy smarts..but I will probly be 4-5 lbs when you get it.

No comments:

Post a Comment