Monday, May 24, 2010

I am thinking about adopting a dog. Probably a yellow lab. My husband and I have a house with a fair sized?

backyard. We also have 4 cats. I am an animal lover, and just wonder if I will feel like I have too many animals. we have a six year old daughter who would love a dog.
I haven't had a dog since I was a kid. Should we go for it?
Answers:
I have also had pet's. my favorite is the labs. I' ve had them with all my children. The first two years seem to be the most active. I have done dog obedience with them and found it to be rewarding and fun. I haven't run into any problems w/my kids and often say the lab as one of the gang when they where younger. Labs want very much to be involved in what is going on. I had one lab that brought in firewood when the kids where doing there chores. we would ask him to find the boys when they had there forts in the wood and he would take me to them. I find they have a great understanding with people and are very intelligent. we would take them with us hiking, the lake, etc. and I still do. They do like a lot of exercise and its easy to provide they love to retrieve, Frisbee, hide and seek in the woods. They really love and appreciate there place in the family. I also feel it's good for kids to have pet's. They learn how to treat and care for them and they also get the benefits of a loyal companion. Many times a memory that carries for years. Actually I'm saying go for it. It's a little more work and maybe a change but the benefits are worth it.
As a person who has 4 dog of his own and is prepairing to bring in several more. I say GO FOR IT! Just remember, get a dog you will all love and take care of. Dont just get a dog to have a dog.
Dogs are great. But labs are big and rambunctious. If that's what you want for your family, go for it.
Get a Golden Retriever mine is so good with younger kids she lloes them to death
If you have the space, time, money and love. Go for it.

I have 5 cats, 3 dogs, and 2 rabbits. At times I feel like Dr.Doolittle, but they bring so much joy to my life, and they are all properly cared for, and I'm not overwhelmed, so it works for our household.
If you can afford to feed them and take them to the vet, go for it. Dog's usually need more attention than cats so don't just leave him out in the backyard by himself all the time. If you can give him plenty of love and attention then I don't think that's too many. If you had 4 dogs, maybe that'd be too much. lol.
If you get a young Lab, or one who is OK with cats, it sounds like a good arrangement.
If you are buying from a breeder, be sure to see the parents, and make sure they are exactly as you want your dog to be..
yes . they are great company and you are saving a dog from being put down . there are many ,many good dog's at animal shelter's . they are there usally becasue the person that had them . has eather died . or moved and couldn't take them with . that is the only place i would buy a dog from. i have two taco dog's. , a red heeler and a n akita . all of which were rescued from a shelter . and i have never regreated it yet . if you can't get along with the dog you can alwayts return them within 30 days' .
I think that you should go for it. We also acquired a large dog. He is a Red Alaskan Husky that use to pull a sled in Alaska. He is so greatful and loving, and your daughter would also love it to no end.
Absolutely go for it. If you love animals, then no amount will ever feel like too many. I had 4 dogs, 2 budgies and 2 hamsters all at the same time. And two of my dogs were great danes. So I say go for it. Good Luck and good on you for considering such a rewarding option.
i have 3 dogs and one is a yellow lab.they love to run and play.you might have to play with it alot or it may want to play with the cats which i don't think the cats may like
Labs need a lot of exercise when they don't have space, which means you'll have to walk the dog A LOT. I suggest you to get a small dog that likes kids; your daughter will enjoy it because it won't be stronger than her when it grows up and she'll be able to walk it, 'cause a 6 year old doesn't have the strength to walk a vivid lab. Poodles and Yorkshires are loved by girls they're smart and beutiful. I had a black lab and a poodle when I was 7 but I loved the poodle a lot more because I could handle her and play with her a lot more, plus if she bit anythig it didn't get ruined. Plus cleaning up after a small dog is a lot easier than after a big dog. Hope that helps.
Go for it! I have two black labs and 3 cats. I've raised both of my labs from pups and they are great around kids and the cats. I always find the cats laying with the dogs and the dogs are grooming the cats. Labs are great dogs! Thats all I have ever owned since I was a kid. Have fun with your new pup!
They will do GREAT!

Speaking as someone in whose household the combined human weight is 258 and the combined critter weight is 190 - we just barely have an edge.


Give the kitties time to adjust and they weill all get along.Just don't force it.

I strongly suggest that if you are considering a specific breed, that you go through the Breed Resscue run by the National Breed Club affiliated with the AKC.

The rescue dogs are fostered with people involvved in the breed and they are very careful to assess each dog's personality, temperment, kid and cat friendliness (and no, just because a dog is of a breed, it does not mean they will all act alike), health and level of training. They are also available for help and advice after adoption. Knowing whether the dog likes tolerate or chases cats is important - as is their attitude towards kids. Labs are prey driven breed so check on the kitty question unless you like footraces through the house with lamps flying.

Here are the links to the Breed Club for labs and the rescue:

www.thelabradorclub.com

http://thelabradorclub.com/rescue/index.. (use the search for a resuce near you link)


You can find other breeds here:
http://www.akc.org/breeds/index.cfm.

and the links to their breed clubs and rescues are in the left hand column on the page for that specific breed.
GO FOR IT! Okay 4 cats, well they are pretty much loners anyway, so they really cannot be counted.. ha ha
I adopted 2 dogs and they are the best thing. I will never regret getting them, and I am thanked by them every chance they get. We need more people willing to adopt.
absolutely, as long as you can take care of it (which obviously you can) go for it.

I have a lab and two cats and an ant farm and they're fabulous.

No comments:

Post a Comment