Saturday, May 22, 2010

I am a pet sitter and I visited my 2 doggy "clients" tonight and they growled at me.what do I do? more info

OK.here goes at the rate of sounding inexperienced.I am a pet sitter and I have been doing this for a long long time but tonight I had my first aggression case. I have a client that has 2 great danes. They are brother and sister and 7.5 years old. I met them on my first initial meeting on Monday, today is Thursday, and all was well.the boy actually fell asleep on my lap! So tonight I go over there and they are so aggressive towards me that I can't even move from the couch without the girl dog freaking out, hackles up, and growling at me and then barking. She wont stop every time I move! So, now the boy doggy has taken a cue from her and won't stop barking as well. I need help! I have to go back over in the morning and my sits just started with them. I have them for 6 more days and I am scared to death. My tummy is turning as I write this.does anyone have any advice on how to make these sits go without incident?

I
Answers:
They have begun to realize that their family is gone, and are being protective of the house until the family returns.
Did you try the firm, commanding tone? Begin, "Hello, Sugar..Sugar, Sit!" . "Hello, Bowser, Bowser, Sit!"

Good girl..go lie down..Good boy, now go lie down..

I took care of a 100% wolf this summer, and had the same trouble as you describe.the strong, firm attitude, with praise only for obedience worked.I still went every day with my heart in my throat, though! but, I still have all fingers left to type with..As the days went on, it became less challenging, as he calmed down..
Be the Pack Leader

The Dog Whisperer
Simple! Your clients need to acclimate you more into the housrhold. the ** is dominate and your an outsider. up your rate and spend more house time with the client at home or look for other" small breeds"

to babysit. 150 pound danes are no easy task, try sitting for my american bull "your lunch, if u ain't a bad mutha"
Good luck, you might be outta yo' league.
I feel for ya~
I would take them a few doggie biscuits and give them one each when you enter. This will help calm them down. I say they started missing their family and when you came over again they felt that you were an intruder in their own home. This will happen sometimes. I have a friend next door and her dog has seen me for years and loves me. But.when she leaves and I go over to take care of her dogs.that one will not let me touch him and he will not go outside to pottie. He knows I am not his mommy and don't want me to be. Some dogs are just like that.
What you have to do is win these dogs over. Treats, maybe sing low and softly. This might calm them down and maybe they wont notice that your frightened as much. Dog's have a good sense of feeling.
You have to let them outside to pottie right? I would give them treat, let them outside for awhile. Let them back in ..giving another treat. Did you call the owners and let them know what is going on? This you should do. You should have someone go over there with you. Make them stay outside in the car, but they will be there for you and maybe this will help calm you down as well. You could always call someone to talk to while your there as well. The more your relaxed the better it will be for you.
GOOD LUCK
Let me know how it goes!
Have you tried bribing them with food? Bring cheese. It does wonderous things for changing a dog's attitude. So do hot dogs.
This same thing happened to me, but I actually got bitten!!
The key is to toss the food at their heads before they growl or bite, that way you are rewarding good behavior not bad.
Put the leashes on them as soon as you arrive. It establishes you as dominant, and you can give a corrective tug and firm "NO" when the growling starts.
Don't sit on the sofa. It may be one of her special places, and while that's not the best behavior for a dog, it's not your problem. Move around more. If she traps you in one spot, you are establishing her as dominant.
I know she's big, but you can't take this from her. Be firm. Say "NO" and make her lay down, or sit, again establishing you as dominant.
Good Luck and don't feel bad, we've all been there!

No comments:

Post a Comment