Monday, May 24, 2010

I am looking for an alternative to a vet to euthanize my ailing Cocker Spaniel in Chicago?

My Cocker Spaniel "Jack" may be on his last legs. He is my "buddy". Wanted to find an alternative (no not a shot gun) to a vet in the Chicago area. Almost like a dog hospice.Any thoughts?
Answers:
You really only have 2 choices, your vet or your local humane society/animal shelter. You have to be licensed in order to obtain the drug that is used. Call around to the vets in your area, you may find one who makes house calls that way your "hospice" can be your home which will be easier for both of you.
I commend you on your decision to euthanize rather than "letting nature take its course". This is a tough time and you will grieve, I have been there several times with dogs, cats and horses, but know in your heart that you are doing the right thing.
maybe like one of those dog spas would do it for you? or if you couldnt find a place like that, why dont you treat him to a last day out to one of the spas then just take him back to the vet and let it happen?
thats very sad, im sorry
I am so sorry for what you are about to experience. My dobie had hip displaysia, and it was causing him a lot of pain. I tried calling a million different vets to try and help but keeping him doped up was not the life Iwanted for him nor did I want him to be in pain. Most vets go by the weight of the dog for howmuch they are goingto charge you for euthanization. It gets very expensive. I dont live inChicago, but last week I had to do the humane thing and put him down but could not afford the vets price. The humane society here does it for much cheaper. I payed a liitle extra and they creamated him for me and put him in a nice little box. Whatever you decide, dont let your dog suffer, and when you have it done, then make sure that you have a friend with you. It was much harder thenIthought it would be. Best wishes to you.
If there was a "dog hospice", wouldn't it be staffed by vets?
I'm sooo sorry - I had a dog that i had to have put to sleep (well 2) It's very humane, they just slip into sleep.

I know it's one of the hardest things to do
Are you serious?

The tiny little pinprick and then total relaxation of the process is FAR less stressful than trying to live day to day when you are old and falling apart. It sounds to me like Jack has had a good life. Give him the kindness of letting him go peacefully and happy in your arms.

I'm a nurse and see patients every day who don't even know what planet they are on, aren't sure what century it is, forget the names of their own spouse/kids/grandkids/people that they see every day, and suffer the humiliation of crapping all over themselves. All of this is because the "family" (who RARELY come to see granny) just can't face the fact that DEATH IS A PART OF LIFE. Then, when granny does finally pass on, the family does show up, but only to fight over who gets what.

Cripes! How friggin' selfish can you be? Let Jack go play in doggie heaven where it doesn't hurt every time he moves! Hold him in your arms and talk to him as he goes to sleep happy just one more time.
You don't say how old Jack is but to keep him around because YOU don't want to let go is not fair to Jack. If you love him, then have enough love for him and let him go. You are being very selfish. This isn't about you it is about him and his quality of life. If the vet says it is time, then listen to the vet. Quit thinking about yourself and think about Jack and do the right thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment